The Open Door Receives a Gift from Haywood Regional Medical Center
January 20, 2016
Physicians “Re-Gift” for Community Causes
(L to R: Cookie Sharp, Jean Armogida, Phillip Wright CEO,
Mindy Wood, Perry Hines, Holly Copy, Miriam Forbes)
Physicians on staff at Haywood Regional Medical Center customarily receive a small holiday gift from administration – this year they unanimously opted to “re-gift” the funds to various community charities.
One selected charity is Open Door.
The Open Door is a community based and supported organization located in Haywood County comprising of a soup kitchen and a thrift store. Proceeds from the sale of donated items in the thrift store are used to support the operation of the soup kitchen. The soup kitchen provides nourishing meals free of charge seven days a week using food donated by the community, supplemented with purchased items. Food boxes are provided on a monthly basis. In addition, Open Door partners with other relief agencies to provide emergency shelter, financial assistance, computer training, financial assistance, and medical related assistance. Showers and laundry facilities are available on premises for clients in need.
Their clients include low-income elderly, families with limited resources, the working poor, those with mental or physical handicaps, and people who are lonely, disenfranchised, or just need hospitality in a safe environment. The Open Door is supported by churches of all denominations, organizations, businesses, and individuals throughout Haywood County. It is through community involvement and support that they are able to feed, educate, and offer living assistance to those in need.
You can provide much needed assistance in the following ways:
- Volunteer to cook/serve at Open Door
- Make a financial donation (mailing check to The Open Door Ministry, 32 Commerce Street, Waynesville, NC 28786)
- Make an online donation
- Donate food pantry items including canned, boxed, fresh or frozen including home grown fruits and vegetables.
- Donate baby products such as food, formula, disposable diapers and bath items
- Donate paper products such as paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, laundry detergent
- Donate toiletries such as shampoo, bath soap, deodorant, toothpaste/toothbrushes, disposable razors, shaving cream and feminine products.
- Donate usable and resalable items to the Second Blessing Thrift Store
- Create a special day each month to collect food or donations at your church or office
- Make a commitment for regular financial gifts to Open Door
- Instead of buying Christmas gifts of birthday presents, make a donation in a love one’s honor
- Encourage someone you know who needs help to come to Open Door for services
The Open Door is located at 32 Commerce Street in Frog Level – Waynesville, NC. Call 828-452-3846 for more information. Follow the Open Door on Facebook or visit their web site at: http://www.opendoor-waynesville.org/.