Lactaction Serives at Haywood Regional
Benefits of Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding is beneficial to mom, baby and the community as a whole.
Benefits for baby:
- Decreased risk of ear infection
- Protection from respiratory infections, allergies, and asthma
- Fewer GI Illnesses
- Decreases risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), diabetes, obesity and some childhood cancers
Benefits for mom:
- Decreased risk of Type 2 Diabetes (even if you had gestational diabetes), breast cancer and ovarian cancer
- Decreased risk of heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis
- Helps with weight loss
- It's free!
Benefits for the community
- Decreased risk of infections
- Environmentally conscious
- Decreased annual healthcare costs
We offer the following services to any breastfeeding mother and baby:
- Breastfeeding classes
- Prenatal consults
- Postpartum consults
- Mother's Connections - New Mom's Class (no charge)
- Pumps for rent or purchase
- Pump accessories
- Baby scale rentals
- Herbs to increase supply
- Breastfeeding pillows
- Pumping bras
- Nursing tank tops
The international Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) at Haywood Regional are dedicated to helping mothers learn to breastfeed their babies. We specialize in helping mothers with:
- Latch difficulties
- Sore nipples
- Milk supply concerns or issues
- Learning that baby is getting enough
- Returning to work while breastfeeding
- Engorgement management and prevention
- Multiple gestation births
- Late-preterm infants
Our goal is to help every mother reach her personal breastfeeding goal. We provide mothers with education, support and guidance to help make breastfeeding easier for her and her baby.
Our IBCLCs are available by phone or for individual consultants in our outpatient office located in the Mountain Pediatric Group Office.
During our one-on-one consultations, our IBCLC will develop a care plan specific to each mother and baby. We will assess and assist with a feeding, measure baby's intake, and educate the mother on how to facilitate breast feeding at home.
We serve mothers who deliver at Haywood Regional, any other surrounding faculties or who deliver at home. You do not have to be a patient of Mountain Pediatric Group.
Breastfeeding & Childbirth Education Office
Haywood Regional Medical Center
Women's Care Center
262 Leroy George Drive | Clyde, NC
Breastfeeding A-Z Class
Taught by our Board Certified Lactation Consultants, this class provides information about the importance of breastfeeding to babies and their families. Techniques for latch-on and positioning are demonstrated to help you get started. Combining breastfeeding with pumping and returning to work or school is also introduced.
Expectant mothers should attend this class one to three months before their due date with fathers, grandparents, and other support people.